Rotary Foundation - "Doing good deeds in our world"
The Foundation is ‘Our Rotary Charity’ which enables Rotarians who share a vision of a better world to advance world understanding, goodwill, and peace. Collectively we can all make a difference through our support for the Foundation through the improvement of health, the support of education, and the alleviation of poverty.
There are three main Foundation program areas for our District:
- End Polio in our world campaign - Rotary’s $200 million Challenge
- Implementing Humanitarian Grants Programs – such as District Simplified and Matching Grants.
- Participating in Educationa Programs – especially Group Study Exchange.
This newsletter will present activities that our District has undertaken in Foundation programs and projects in recent years. But first, a look to The Future. The Trustees of The Rotary Foundation have developed a new approach to supporting district and club humanitarian and educational projects.
The overall aim is to streamline operations for improved efficiency and focus efforts to achieve greater impact and public recognition. After examining a range of humanitarian issues addressed worldwide by Rotarians, six areas of focus were identified for a new grant structure.
The Rotary Foundation’s new six Areas Focus are:
- Peace and conflict prevention / resolution;
- Disease prevention and treatment;
- Water and sanitation;
- Maternal and child health;
- Basic education and literacy; and
- Economic and community development.
These areas reflect critical humanitarian issues and needs that Rotarians in clubs and districts can support to best achieve substantive and quantifiable results. I know you and your Rotary club will support The Foundation now and into the future.
Greg Brown, District Governor, 2012-13